State of Shalimar United Methodist Church 2021
As a part of our Nation's fabric, one tradition is customary to give a State of the Union Address for late January. Somewhere along the way, I began a tradition by giving the "state of the church" each January. In a year of multiple challenges, I am delighted to share the "state of the church" is stronger than we may think! Below is the printed version.
- 35,800 persons worshipped with us last year by Livestream and in person.
- Of the 35,800, 23,523 persons worshipped by Livestream.
- At least 28 states worshipped with us through live stream.
- Wisconsin had a large following.
- One person in Wisconsin wrote the following.
From the north woods of Wisconsin with a smiley face. Enclosed is a donation for your church. We are regular viewers of your Sunday morning live stream at 8 am. We both had COVID-19 back in October and November. Sad face.
God Bless America!
- There was no interruption of official church meetings - most by ZOOM.
- The Bread House was birthed and has been in operation for almost a year.
- In operation 127 days, if you translated into 8-hour workdays with 30 volunteers, that would be 776 8-hour workdays. Only closed Christmas and New Year's
- Blessings for Children has helped so many families with practical needs in this time of the pandemic.
- The musical groups have lead worship every Sunday, providing worship leadership during 2020.
- Our growing AV team answered the bell all 52 Sundays of 2020! They are "rock stars."
- We had 919 persons participating in the discipleship of Shalimar UMC for 2020.
- Pastors spent over a month of time on the telephone making calls to our congregation.
- If you combined the 3,000 pastoral calls, it would be one and a half months non-stop calling.
- After sitting quietly for a year, Cross Corner is now being renovated and is in use!
- A new fire pit was built on campus!
- SUMC held two outdoor Christmas Eve Services. (both well attended despite the cold and COVID)
- We formed a youth leadership team of 12 youth.
- Our preschool resumed, and there is nothing sweeter than the sounds of children singing "Buzz Buzz" and the director hearing them sing each day!
- We celebrate 32 young adults involving themselves in young adult ministry.
- There are signs of growth in the 11:07 worship service for the first time in 5 years.
- After School Care has resumed, and children do not want to leave at pick up time. Sometimes they are overheard sharing the Bible story they learned with their parents.
- Our missions team gave leadership to the church for 23,000 touches in our community. This includes the Bread House, Feeding the Gulf Coast, Sharing and Caring, Blessings for Children, the Thanksgiving Meal Ministry, and Faith Backpack.
- The Angel Tree had a record of 197 children, and all were sponsored, making for a better Christmas.
- The teenage gift card ministry had $8,200 given to support its ministry. As a result, 94 teenagers were given gift cards! A record for the four years of this ministry.
- After a loan of upwards close to 4 million dollars a decade ago, in 2020, we quietly fell under 1 million dollars in our loan for Haverty's!
- We again paid 100% apportionments paid to the greater church.
- The most amazing fact is that our 2020 pledges were paid at 99.13%! This is a record and speaks so well of the steadfastness of our congregation.
- This year we begin the march to 1,000 persons in discipleship every week!
Posted in Philips Focus
Bread House Week 93Most Welcoming RugGuidebook 20222023 is calling already! Will you answer?What we Know Even When We Do Not KnowBread House Week 94FOLLOW ME Begins, Ash Wednesday, March 2Members are to Become and Make DisciplesBread House Week 95Ash Wednesday is a Big Day and Some of the Reasons WhyBread House Week 96
State of Shalimar United Methodist Church 2021Week 42 Bread House40-Day Lent DevotionsCheck It Out! Feb 7, 2021Using the New Church AppIn Praise of our Ministry TeamsWeek 43 Bread HouseA Word from Our Librarian - Feb 14, 2021Bread House Week 44Announcing a New Children's Ministry DirectorBread House Week 45How You Can Help Refer Families to Blessings for ChildrenLibrary NewsLearning from History and Including All as Jesus
Time to Nominate this Year’s Hospitality Award WinnerBread House Week 46Bread House Week 47Around the SUMC LibraryTime Change is This SundaySave the Dates…A Month of Special SundaysBread House Week 48Updated Shalimar UMC Covid Protocol for Holy WeekBread House Week 49Giving DandelionsEaster Lily Project
Bread House Week 50God Has the Final Word!Some Clues for the Unforgettable Message After EasterWeek 51 at the Bread HouseWhat have we missed? What will be the same? Different?Make Us One...Week 52 at the Bread HouseEighteen Lives and Eternal LifeThank You from REBOOT Class MemberWeek 54 at the Bread HouseNUMBERS and NAMESThe “SHIPS” of the ChurchVBSSenior Recognition
Around Shalimar, Things to Know, and Having Some FunBread House Week 55Thank You, Deb Steele!Young Adults Summer Schedule2021 OCSW Women of HonorWelcome!!! Welcome Back!!!Summer News from Our LibrarianLICE and Blessings for Children!Week 57 at the Bread HouseShalimar UMC receives the Heroes and Hard Workers Award!